Dear Civilized World
We are not war traders, and our blood is not cheap, and all we want is pride and humanity just like all the other peoples of the world …
Just a reminder…
We would like to inform you of a fraction of what the Gaza Strip suffers due to the Israeli blockade – before this current aggression: social and economic problems (in all aspects of life), our right to freedom of self-determination and sovereignty, the crisis of prisoners, the inability to access the West Bank, Jerusalem, Al-Aqsa mosque and other holy sites.
1. Electricity is available for only 8 hours per day, and not even regularly as it depends on the availability of diesel fuel which is controlled by the Israelis.
2. 90% of the water found in the Gaza Strip is unbootable and unfit for human use such as bathing, washing etc…
3. Sanitation and water treatment are nonexistent so waste water is routed directly to the sea, so the beach has been closed because it’s become unfit for swimming. This is the only choice for the population as supplies and equipment are controlled by the Israelis.
4. The problem of fuel and gas … it’s not available in most cases and when it’s available the price is exorbitant so it’s become the most expensive gas in the world at $2.20 per liter for petrol. It is also causing a problem with cooking as there isn’t propane, and if it is available again it is very expensive.
5. Cement and building materials only come for the international institutions with a limited supply and more than half of the goods and materials are not allowed to enter because of false security reasons. They destroy our homes and businesses, and then require us to purchase the materials to rebuild the same at exorbitant prices.
6. Unemployment is above 50% with such a large number of unemployed, aid from international organizations isn’t enough to meet even basic needs.
7. 90% of the factories lie idle as there aren’t materials or supplies to keep them running because of “security” reasons.
8. Agricultural lands of which most are located in the border areas are considered the primary source of food to cover the needs of the population. The occupation doesn’t allow them to grow there because of alleged aggression by farmers. We can’t import food; we can’t grow our own food, so we are to starve ourselves?
9. Fishing is only permitted within 2 miles, and even then the fishermen face aggression and attacks.
10. Waste disposal is almost impossible as there isn’t enough space to handle all the solid waste produced by the population. Attempts to remove it to outlying areas are often met with Israeli aggression.
11. The lack of freedom of travel and movement to and from the Gaza Strip makes the residents of the Gaza Strip prisoners in their own country. Crossings are semi-permanently closed, and the only crossing to the outside world in Rafah crossing is closed almost continuously. The only airport in Gaza has been closed for more than 12 years.
12. The lack of medical supplies and modern treatments is another source of death and suffering for the Gaza Strip. Treatable diseases like diabetes and kidney disease are killing people due to lack of supplies and equipment.
13. Government employees who are working throughout the day and night such as teachers, doctors, nurses etc., haven’t received their salaries to cover even their basic needs due to the economic blockade.
How can you accept this suffering and allow your fellow human beings to live like this? The people in your prisons live a much better life full of dignity and safety than the people of Gaza.
Please intervene to stop the siege and suffering from Israel upon us. Don’t we deserve to live humanely and in honor like all other human beings?